Ship to California

The Foundry Grenache 2015

Buy online

$ 26.99 per bottle

Grape 100% Grenache
Appellation South Africa
Oak 40% matured 12 months in French oak
Production 300 cases
Residual sugar 2.1 g/l
Sustainable IPW certified
Awards 92 Points - 2018 Platter's Guide
Wine Enthusiast 90 points

This Grenache is grown on a small plot in the Fijndraai hills, a few kilometers from the maritime influence of False Bay. The wine is light, fresh, and approachable. A youthful, deep ruby in color, with good intensity on account of the low production per vine. On the nose there is a distinctive floral fleshy fruit quality intensified by black pepper, spice and a sanguine note. The palate is medium bodied with intense crushed dark fruit, peppery spiciness and an intricate fairy-dust like tannic structure.

Trellised vines allow Chris to precisely manage the canopy to enhance the wine's complexity and balance. The small crop is harvested at modest sugar levels but at full flavour-ripeness to ensure moderate alcohol, bright acidity, freshness, and fruit expression.

Hand harvested and cooled overnight, the grapes are partially de-stemmed and crushed with some whole berries and bunches remaining. The first stage of fermentation is un-innoculated, with a neutral Rhône strain inoculated later to complete fermentation. Only 40% of the free run juice is barrel-aged in French oak, the remaining 60% is aged in cement tanks.